12.07.2008

granted, i am awake

Things I take for granted (almost) every day...

1. Being born

2. Eating

3. Zippers

* * * * *

There is something to be said for sleeping in public places. There will, no doubt, be people to wake up to.

* * * * *

4. Freedom of speech

5. Being left-handed (the so called "11% club")

6. Feet

* * * * *

"Nice nap?" The man with long hair, a NASCAR cap and a leather jacket asks. I have never seen him before.

"It was. Splendid," I smile. The college-aged girl a ways over nods approvingly. Last I remembered, Bill Gates' older brother had been sitting there. He had asked me where I was from, but obviously the conversation hadn't taken.

The creepy guy had left, too.

* * * * *

7. Literacy

8. Choices

9. Community

* * * * *

I don't always wake up so conscious of who is glad that I did. But there they are; though not so close as my eyes jerk wide, my muscles tense, and I make a sound that resembles a reaction to slight electrical shock. I am not an easy riser.

Yes. People are glad I am awake. They love me. It is joyful. Splendid.

* * * * *

10. The Creator God lives in every moment I'm alive

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Post a Comment