4.23.2009

sojourn

"BUT WHO AM I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you. For we are strangers before you and sojourners, as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding."
-- I Chronicles 29:14-15

* * * * *

I have come to only know myself as a sojourner. I am here temporarily. I have nothing to offer that hasn't already been given to me. When I lose sight of these things, I lose who I am. When I try to hold on to what I think is mine, it is gone. A sojourner: my identity in God - a God who transcends time and possesses everything.

No. I cannot abide in this world and its ways. They are too short. My sojourn is just one of many that make the journey. Each not an end to itself, except what God so beautifully makes of them. This walk with God is full of mystery, and I can't seem to find the steps myself. Often I stumble onto them and realize I've been led there all along. I can only walk the path as it is given.

Those who do not think they are on a journey, or do not desire to be, are missing out and most probably dissatisfied. The journey is a given - the way we walk it is life. So Jesus came to say, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

And so I walk in the sojourn I have been given, asking how it is that I am able even to offer back what I've been given.