9.27.2009

back when

IT'S WEIRD TO SEE AN ADULT IN THE MIRROR at my parents house. Somehow it feels like I shouldn't be grown up here; but I am. I've been back, briefly, for a high school reunion. I got to see people that I haven't seen in years, and wouldn't have seen otherwise. We shared stories, some food, and for the most part went back our separate ways in time and space. It was weird to see all of us as adults, here, strangely out of context and mostly remembering fictionalized versions of who we once were.

All of these things are good. They help us, I think, understand who we are now, and appreciate that it has taken time and space to become that. That transformation from the short chubby kid (I speak of myself), like any transformation, doesn't happen over night. But it can and does happen.